Ultimate Showdown!

Ultimate Showdown!

Thursday, May 22, 2014

It appears you don't all hate the same things I do...

In response to last week's call for bad high school reads, your answers kind of surprised me. Not that I'm super in love with any of these in particular, they just didn't garner my eternal apathy and/or contempt the way that other titles did. Here were the main responses:

Lord of the Flies: Given the glut of modern-day takes on this story (most notoriously is James Dashner's Maze Runner trilogy) it's still popular fodder for parody, analogy and general meme-ery. I didn't mind it all that much, and found its overall message to be rather pertinent, but I can see why the whole is not equal to the sum of its parts for many readers. In the end, my opinion is that I didn't get to read this in high school, because I was busy choking on other crap.

Ethan Frome: Until David mentioned this book to me, I had never heard of it. I guess it's about someone in New England committing suicide, which...eh, I can't make a suicide joke. Just can't. I'll take David's word for it and not waste my time.

Watership Down: This was assigned to me all the way back in sixth grade, and I didn't mind it because it was about talking animals, and there was a seagull that cussed like a sailor. For a class project, we also had to illustrate one of the characters from the book on a huge sheet of poster paper. I ended up illustrating everyone. (Wasn't hard, 90% of the characters were rabbits.) Nevertheless, it's a depressing book.

Old Man and the Sea: I didn't read this until almost two years ago. I had an overall positive experience with it, after some post-reading analysis. (Not a skill I learned in high school.) So I can't agree with this one beyond saying that if I'd read it as a high school assignment, yeah, I might have hated it then.

Brave New World: This is one that I'm glad I read, but then again, I did so for my own leisure. Don't judge me; I'd just seen Finding Forrester and had decided to try my hand at reading literary fiction, to see if I enjoyed it. It has definite merit, but like other books on this list, one would not enjoy it if one was forced to read it and attribute to it the same value that some stuffy old academic claims it has.

In the end, I can't say I hate all of these the way that you guys do, but that's okay: there are plenty of books I do hate, and that's what counts.

I think. I don't know. Have a drumstick. K bye.

1 comment:

Alex said...

The worst ones I had to read were 'In Cold Blood' and Dante's 'Inferno' which was pretty hard to get through.